Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Persuasion Application Three-Reich: Love Your Curls

Reich’s Cultural Parable can be seen in this Dove commercial “Dove Hair: Love Your Curls”. This commercial will be used as the artifact to draw out Reich’s cultural parable “the benevolent individual”. Video too commercial below:


This artifact identifies Reich’s Cultural Parable and creates an affective consequence by influencing the attitudes of their audience to embrace their natural beauty and to become a role model for other women as well as little girls.

The process premises that this artifact attempts to construct in order to persuade their audiences are attitudes and emotions. Society has created an “ideal” image of what a women, black or white, are expected to look like. Unfortunately, our society has influenced women with curl hair (African American women especially) to feel the need to make it a priority to relax their hair. Through this commercial we can see that this “expectation” is harmful to our youths esteem and that as a community of women and hopefully everyone else we can strengthen our self-esteem, accept our natural beauty while changing the “ideal” hair style. Through this commercial we can see joy as well as sadness being used to persuade our audience. The joy of embracing our natural hairstyle but by first pointing out how the expectations from society have negatively affected a little girl’s perception of herself.

5 comments:

  1. What a great commercial! I hadn't seen it before. It was fun to see the compassion the other people in the commercial had toward the girls that didn't like their curly hair. They really did pitch in together to help one another. It's amazing to me what individuals will subject themselves to just to conform to a particular image or behavior that is trending. It reminds me of the Dr. Seuss book about the Sneetches. I agree with you that they are playing upon the emotions and attitudes of the audience and I would argue that they are using needs as well. Great clip and post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on your post. I don't think men or people in general relize how much woman have to go through. I remember seeing a video like this where they asked African American children to play with dolls one of which was black. They then asked them which was the ugly doll or which was the bad doll and they all chose the black doll. It is sad it really is. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I was persuaded by that. I loved their use of emotions and the bond between mother and daughter. I thought this was super smart of them and such a great choice for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang that was amazing. The emotion in this video definitely could be felt as you watched it. Well I felt really bad in the beginning when asked if they like their hair and they said they didn't. Maybe because most girls had straight hair and they just wanted to fit in. Whatever it is, I enjoyed this

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very inspirational in showing people that they can love themselves for who they are and not the person they think they should be. Great choice and analysis. This one made me think quite a bit about who I am and made me think of things I didn't like about myself and maybe need to change. Especially my negative thoughts of who I view myself as.

    ReplyDelete